Monday, April 9, 2007

Trip Journal Post 3: Days 10-11

Day 10: Van Horn to Marfa, TX (76 miles) Because of the wind, we chose to deviate from the course this morning taking 90 south instead of I-10 to Kent. It was still cold and foggy when we left and I got a great picture of Curt riding along, smoking a cigar, with his nose dripping. At about 20 miles into it I had a front flat. It was a quick repair and we continued on for another 30 minutes. I was getting hot so we both decided to strip off our rain jackets. While we were stopped, a young couple in a grey VW bug with a road bike on top stopped to make sure we were okay. It turned out the girl was from Alpine, was a triathelete, and both seemed genuinely interested in our trip and bikes. At about 35 miles after Van Horn, I rolled up on the strangest art exhibit I have ever seen. In the middle of a flat, dry, uninhabited prairie is a small building with a plate glass front displaying Prada shoes and purses. Nothing for sale, just an art display. Of course, we got some pics. We ate some power bars since there was no where to eat lunch. It took hours to pass a single ranch (Ryan). I read that this area is where Dallas was filmed and Marfa has some strange reoccurring light phenomenon. Today was Easter Sunday and I nearly forgot! I scared up a buck antelope and put on a burst of speed, fumbling for my camera, as it ran along a fence-line. I hope I caught it on the digital. There were herds of antelope along the route. A vicious headwind hit us 5 miles from Marfa. We really had to dig down to reach town, wolfed a hot, greasy meal at DQ, and checked into the Riatta motel with 608 miles under our belts.
Day 11: Marfa to Alpine, TX (26 miles) You're probably wondering about the measly 27 miles, huh? Okay, here's how this day went: We left Marfa without breakfast and in a hurry to beat the expected wind. We had a short climb and then a drop through a beautiful, rocky canyon. I saw my first Javelina, dead of the road, and scared two Golden Eagles from a roadside tree. I wanted to see how fast I could push the loaded Koga today and actually hit 27 mph on the flat. Arriving in Alpine, I asked about a good restaurant for brunch and was directed to Mc Goo's. While we ate we talked to the owner, Joe Torres, who insisted that we should see Big Bend National Park (108 miles away). We told him we didn't have time on this trip, and he insisted that we borrow his new Camry. Curt and I knew we had some extra time since Debbie is coming into Austin after we will arrive so we gladly accepted the generous offer. What a great guy! I did the driving; Curt did the dozing. We saw Chisos Canyon, Panther Junction, all the cactus flowers in bloom, and snapped plenty of pics. We left Joe two 18 packs of Coors Longnecks on the seat(his son's girlfriend said it was his favorite), filled the tank, and returned the car to his restaurant. I'm sitting at the computer in the Lobo bar in Alpine where there is no shortage of friendly folks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hah, finally found the website---I must not know the correct spelling of spartAcus, as I spelled it with an i instead of an a. I'm the girl in the VW Bug, Maritza and Arturo, and I'm glad I can now follow you guys on your journey! Hope the trip goes well, as I'm sure it will. Hopefully you will be greeted with warm weather and no wind, unless it's at your back! Glad you guys made it to Big Bend---was it worth the detour?! Stopping in Austin?, Art's hometown---check out Freebirds, Manuel's, Amy's IceCreams (some of our local favorites)!

ZZCOP said...

Spartacus/Wildman:
You gotta be getting close to Austin (Thurs 4-12). We're tied up Sat afternoon with a BBQ cookoff at AMVETS but I'll be on my cell all the rest of the time. Or, leave a message on my home recorder. Love to see you guys if it works for you.
ZZCOP