Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Trip Journal Post 10: Days 41-47

Day 41: Glascow to Lebanon, KY (78 miles) It was a splendid day for riding. The pines are gone from the forest, which is thinner and more inviting. Although the sun penetrates easily, it is still very lush and green. Just before arriving in Hogenville, I visited the birthplace of one of my personal heroes, Abraham Lincoln. I nodded through an 18 minute movie, saw his tiny log cabin, read some of his quotations, and my admiration grew larger still. About 3 miles later I ran into two westbound riders. We visited for 20 minutes but I felt the need to push onward, as it was still 43 miles to Springfield. 3 1/2 hours later I arrived in Lebanon instead, 9 miles short of Springfield. I stopped to eat at a Mexican restaurant and only moment later I found some new friends; Blake and Mary Ann Ohsol, who live just down the street, came in and were excited about my bike and the trip. I invited them to eat with me and ended up staying at their home for the night. They are the friendliest, most interesting couple and their energy was a breath of fresh air. Being in their home was very peaceful and thoroughly rejuvenated me!
Day 42: Lebanon to Berea, KY (82 miles) Somewhat reluctantly I left the Ohsons after bacon and eggs. I arrived in Harrodsburg within 4 hours, as I tried to make up getting off to a late start. I made several stops on the way to Berea to rehydrate. Berea, full of history and youthful vigor, is a pretty little college town which caters to primarily the Appalachian mountain area children. Qualified low income kids can attend there for free, but they are required to work at the college during their stay. I camped just south of town at an RV park.
Day 43: Berea to Buckhorn, KY (81 miles) I awoke to another beautiful morning. The tent and sleeping bag had to be stowed wet with dew. I rode back into Berea for breakfast at the famous Daniel Boone Tavern. Then I began a roller-coaster ride into the younger range of the Appalachians. I have always been drawn to the mountains, but, of all the places this trip has taken me, none have called so strongly. Trees cover the knobby hills completely, the fragrance of wild Honeysuckle fills the air, and the unfamiliar but soothing sounds of a wide variety of birds fill the air. These are rugged mountains that test my conditioning as I shift continuously to make the assents. Any knee or quad muscle problems I was having are gone now. Although I'm thoroughly exhausted at the end of the day, I still enjoy it immensely.
Day 44: Buckhorn to Pippa Passes, KY (56 miles) I left the campground this morning and have only stopped for food and Gatorade until I reached Hindman. As I update this blog at the public library, it's pouring rain and I'm not sure about pushing onward. At the moment this town looks like as good a place as any! The rain stopped about the time I finished updating the blog and as I stepped out of the library the sun was shining brightly so I rode on to Pippa Passes where I stayed at a hostel. This was another first and for $7, it was a real bargain. Steve Birge, another cyclist traveling west was there ahead of me and I followed his lead as I unloaded in to the bunk house. We sipped tea and discussed our adventures. We agreed that this could be an addictive lifestyle; Steve had many other trips under his belt.
Day 45: Pippa Passes to Council, VA (87 miles) Steve was an early riser and sounded like a giant pack-rat as he re-stowed his equipment. I took a few pics of the hostel to share with Tracy and headed back into the mountains. Steve had suggested stopping at a restaurant 13 miles ahead, where I had the place to myself and enjoyed a pancake and sausage breakfast. It was another day of climb after climb, but both me and the bike are performing well. I ate lunch in Elkhorn City and considered stopping at the public library. Instead I pressed on through the Breaks Interstate Park between Kentucky and Virginia. It's beautiful and rugged country. I wanted to stop there for a swim but the public access was closed for renovations so I rode on to Haysi, VA., where I ate dinner. The traffic was unbearable, especially the coal trucks. I had intended to stay there but couldn't find anything suitable. The map showed a camping recreation area 17 miles ahead at Council, VA. Turned out it was just a city park, but the covered picnic table made a comfortable bed for the night.
Day 46: Council to Damascus, VA. (54 miles) Mike Pederson, a old friend from Logandale who retired from the Highway Patrol and moved to Charlotte, NC., has arranged to meet at Damascus. I got off to an early start which quickly turned into steep climbs. I ate breakfast in a farmers cafe in Honaker, and as I sat eating I realized that I couldn't decipher I word in ten that was spoken! Virginia is the most beautiful yet. I took some pics of the misty valleys I crossed today. These vistas are really something to behold. I arrived into Damascus by 2pm and threw my laundry in immediately. Mike called right from the same intersection at about 2:30pm. It was really good to see an old friendly face. He had made arrangements to stay at a nearby town, Abingdon, where we ate, went to the movies, and drank Margaritas. It was quite a treat and lifted my spirits even higher than usual.
Day 47: Damascus, VA. We arrived back at the same intersection later in the morning. Mike and I said our goodbyes. Since this is where the Appalachian Trail and the Transamerican Trail bisect, there are plenty of bike and backpack outfitters. My tent is threatening to quit early on me, as one of the nylon suspension rods has shattered, so I thought I would nose around. It's a unique little town to visit and is the access point for the Virginia Creeper Trail, an alternate bike route that will give me an 11 mile sample of off road passage, much like what lies ahead into Pennsylvania. I've decided to finish out the day here and leave in the morning.

11 comments:

Linda Exley said...

Hey Kenny
It is great following along. I estimated that you are about 290 mile out or so from Waynesboro. We are hoping to meet up with you but completely understand if it doesn't work out. It would be great to see you. Just call and let us know if it works out.
Be safe,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Ken,
We are glad to hear that your knee and muscle problems have abated. We are looking forward to your visit.
We love you.
Mom & Dad/

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken,

I hope along the way you don't camp along side one of those river valleys that have hill-sides covered with stripping coal remnant's, remember running and jumping off without a care in the world?
Keep your hair out of your mouth so as to not choke on it...
Sheesh!!!
God speed be with you...
Mark, 8*)

Anonymous said...

It was a good evening shared with you at Pippa Passes in the hostel. I'll use your comments on the road ridden as guidance for the days ahead.

Steve Birge
s.birge@roadrunner.com

Tracy Rodgers said...

Hey Babe;
Just wanted you to know how proud of you I am. I draw strength from your strength. Thank you for your great example. We all miss you here at home. Be safe and I love you.
Tracy xoxox's

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenny,

Reading about your adventure daily, Punky wishes he was with you!!
Keep save and we'll see you when you get home!!

Penny & Punky

P.S. RIDE ON!!

Linda Exley said...

Hey Ken
It was so great to see you and share a short time with you. I thought to myself later how amazing it is that you have rode all this way. Tomasz and I really admired your strength. Bike on! I look forward to hearing more. Say hi to your parents for me. Keep in touch and ride safe. One more thing...when your camping at night beware of bear and snakes in Virginia! and yes Virginia is a beautiful scenic state. Glad you liked it!
Hugs, Linda

Ryan said...

Ken,
Best of luck on the remainder of your journey!

Your friends at the Comfort Inn, Glasgow, KY.

Anonymous said...

I was just introduced to your blog. You have had an amazing journey and I see I am not the only wife to allow her husband an extended bicycle adventure. I am the wife of Steve Birge, a bicyclist with whom you crossed paths. Keep having a wonderful trip. You are almost there!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.