Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Trip Journal Post 11: Days 48-49

Day 48: Damascus to Christiansburg, VA. (115 miles) It was actually hard to overcome the inertia of Damascus! I ate breakfast before I left and visited with several people I'd met the previous day. Somewhat reluctantly I rolled onto the Virginia Creeper Trail, so named for the former railroad passage up through Mt. Rogers. It crosses the Appalachian Trail several times along the way and I rode along it's 11 miles of peaceful dirt trails, passing hikers and bikes along the way. After turning back out onto the Transamerican, the next 25-30 miles were beautiful woods which turned into a lush, green wide valley for miles. Things turned into a blur as I pedaled steadily for the next several hours. I found myself only seven miles from Christianburg before I realized I was tired.
Day 49: Christiansburg to Natural Bridge, VA. (81 miles) When I near the end of motorcycle trips, like a barn sour horse, I find myself in a hurry to be home. This morning I spoke with an older couple who were out on their bicycles for a short weekend trip. They told me about an 8000 miles trip they had taken! It's makes you realize that there is always someone who has done something bigger, longer, greater. Later I met my cousin Linda Exley and her former exchange student, Thomas, near Troutville. We hadn't seen each other for 18 years so we covered a variety of topics. While we visited, a short thunderstorm struck, drenching the bike, but it didn't last and the rest of the day was dry. I stopped at the Natural Bridge site, of of the seven natural wonders of the world, but couldn't negotiate a reduced price just to snap a picture and ride on. Deciding not to pay $12 for a picture, I skipped a postcard too. I'll look at it on the Internet! Out of clean bike clothes, I stopped at a motel where they agreed to wash my stuff for an additional $10. I ate a backpack meal inside the motel room using my stove to heat the water for hot chocolate too.
Day 50: Natural Bridge to
I rode 10 miles into Lexington for breakfast, to stop at the public library, and to ask some questions at the bike shop about an annoying metallic click the bike has developed. I think I'm going to research another course from here because I'm actually going further east than I need to as of today.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Kenny, I this was going to be hard, you sound like your having a good time?!

Anonymous said...

Trying to talk Jeanette into letting me go with you next time. She won't let me take 3 months off work. Something about the house payment...? See you soon.

Brian & Jeanette

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken. enjoying your blog. we are going to TN 6-14 and will do a little touring...in a car. Must check with Cory re the bike sale, dosen't he know he is messing with our ride schedule? I think it's great that you decided to continue this and share it with your friends. You are always in our thoughts. RB