Thursday, May 3, 2007

Trip Journal Post 7: The Return to Baton Rouge

Thank you all for your comments and for your prayers. Both my family and Peggy's are so very heartbroken. We said goodbye to my baby girl, Erinn, on Wednesday May 2, 2007 at her viewing and memorial service. I was deeply touched by the standing room only crowd that attended. Erinn's death has raised many questions, some of which will remain unanswered. As her father and a former policeman, it is intensely frustrating to wonder what happened in those final hours. But as a father and a Christian, I stand on the deeply reassuring authority of the Bible and know that I will see Erinn again in heaven. I ran nearly 20 miles in the two days preceding her service trying to ease this pain in my heart. It may seem strange to some but returning to the exertion of bike touring seems essential right now.
For those of you following the trip, my next posting will be after I return to Baton Rouge on May 8th to finish the journey. Unfortunately Curt will not be able to rejoin me, as he has other important travel plans for an Alaskan summer. June is a busy month for all families; mine is certainly no exception. Pending the approval of the Rodgers Master Calender, I need approximately 31 days to complete this second half, allowing me 4 rest days and 3 to visit on the end. Hopefully, once I regain my rhythm, it will be possible to save some time and return earlier. Instead of following the Great Rivers Route to the west of Nashville to intercept the Transamerican Route which adds hundreds of miles, I intend to strike east of the city and reconnect at the Mammoth Cave National Park loop, an alternate on the T/A Route, which goes east from there to Waynesboro, VA. At that point I turn north through West Virginia and find my way to the Great Allegheny Passage into Pittsburgh.
During several communications with Eric Schwartz (from Commuter Bikes), it was collectively decided to purchase a Brooks Conquest seat. He has graciously loaned me a seat post, since the Koga has an unusual diameter, so I will simply swap them throughout each day as I break in the tough leather saddle. It will add nearly 3 pounds to the load, but I've decided to wear an old pair of running shoes to discard when I arrive at the motel to help compensate for the extra weight. My bike shoes are quite comfortable so I've rarely worn the others. (The shower shoes, however, have been priceless!) Dave, the epitome of southern hospitality, is going to deliver my bike and gear to the motel across from the airport the evening I arrive. (I have added a link to his site.) Nearly everything is ready for the return, except my heavy heart. Both Tracy and I seem so fragile right now. I'm torn. I feel I should stay, yet feel compelled to finish. Perhaps only a professional therapist could answer those questions to anyone's satisfaction!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,
Our hearts go out to you, and we will keep you in mind as you continue your journey. Going forward is all you can do now. Good Luck, we will pray for your safe passage and arrival in Pittsburgh.
Love,
Heidi and Mike

Linda Exley said...

Hi, Kenny
Charlie and I would love to meet you in Waynesboro if possible,
Please get in touch 540-354-3989 and see if it works out.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Morning Ken. "Return to Baton Rough", sounds like an intriguing novel! Sent Cory an email requesting he not sell the bike and let us enjoy at least one more trip. Rich and I talked about your "Return to Baton Rouge" on the way home from Vegas and we both agree that it is the right thing to do, but then again, what do we know? God Bless you Kenny.
RB

B said...

Kenny,
As I told you the night of the May day dances at the Elem. school. We love you and our hearts and prayers are with you and your family. Absolutely anything we can do please do not hesitate. This is NOT an empty offer.
As we discussed, I think we should investigate the possibility to get a tree and maybe a bench or something put in a park or maybe at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, in Erinn's honor. Maybe your followers can help us out with the idea. I would love to investigate it further with your guidance & support.
Please take care of your self and don't push too hard - You are not Forrest Gump! :-)
Love you Kenny!
Beckie

B said...

Kenny,
As I told you the night of the May day dances at the Elem. school. We love you and our hearts and prayers are with you and your family. Absolutely anything we can do please do not hesitate. This is NOT an empty offer.
As we discussed, I think we should investigate the possibility to get a tree and maybe a bench or something put in a park or maybe at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, in Erinn's honor. Maybe your followers can help us out with the idea. I would love to investigate it further with your guidance & support.
Please take care of your self and don't push too hard - You are not Forrest Gump! :-)
Love you Kenny!
Beckie

Kimberly said...

It takes courage to get back in the saddle, this will be better for your soul than not finnishing.Be safe!
I hope beckie will e-mail me because I think its a great idea, the bench and tree for your daughter and would love to help.

Anonymous said...

Keep riding, be safe.
Bradford

Anonymous said...

Kenny,
I think it's a great idea to get back on your trip.It takes courage to make the decision and I think it will be good for you. I wish you peace and healing.
Be safe.
Sue

Anonymous said...

KEN,
WE ARE GLAD TO HERE FROM YOU AGAIN. WE HOPE YOUR KNEE PROBLEM GOES AWAY. LET US KNOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING WE MIGHT DO TO HELP.
LOVE,
MOM & DAD

Anonymous said...

From Sandy & Oliver, Logandale
Glad to see you back on your trip!!!
After I saw you the other day I am now following your Journey and our Prayers are with you and your Family.
I was unaware the other day of what was happening so hope i did not seem insensitive!
I think of you on every Valley Ride I do. Best Wishes, Sandy

Mary Ann and Blake Ohsol said...

we are blessed to have kenny at our home tonight! what an amazing man he is! we send peace, love, and prayers to his whole family, suffering from this tragic and untimely loss of their beautiful young daughter.

mary ann and blake ohsol
ann's chateau
lebanon, ky.